RE: What am I missing - table not in DBA_SEGMENTS

From: Deas, Scott <Scott.Deas_at_lfg.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:42:56 +0000

The default in 11.2 is that DEFERRED_SEGMENT_CREATION is true, meaning a segment won’t be created until you insert data into the object. You can change this in your session or at the system level.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e40402/initparams075.htm#REFRN10307

Thanks,
Scott

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:39 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: What am I missing - table not in DBA_SEGMENTS

Env Oracle 11.2.0.3

I have a table that exists in the data dictionary, and I can select from it, but it does NOT show up in DBA_SEGMENTS.

The table is _NOT_ an IOT, TEMPORARY, CLUSTERED or anything else odd.

Is it because there are NO EXTENTS assigned to the table even though the data dictionary says MINEXTENTS = 1?

Is this some new behavior in 11g or has it always been this way? I thought a table would have at least one extent when it was created when minextents = 1?

The only OTHER thing about this table is that it has "RESULT CACHE" as part of the create table script but I can't imagine that would cause this behavior.

This paste section is in HTML format so I'm not sure it will show up correctly in your mailbox:

select owner,table_name, tablespace_name, cluster_name, iot_name, status, min_extents,logging, num_rows,empty_blocks, partitioned, iot_type, temporary, secondary,nested from dba_tables
where owner = 'WCDBA'
and table_name like 'PNV_PG_TRACK%'
/

OWNER TABLE_NAME TABLESPACE_NAME CLUSTER_NAME IOT_NAME STATUS MIN_EXTENTS LOGGING NUM_ROWS EMPTY_BLOCKS PARTITIONED IOT_TYPE TEMPORARY SECONDARY NESTED WCDBA PNV_PG_TRACK SUBSET_DATA VALID 1

YES 0

0

NO

NO

select owner,object_name, subobject_name,object_id, data_object_id, object_type,status,temporary,generated,secondary,namespace from dba_objects where object_name = 'PNV_PG_TRACK'
/

OWNER OBJECT_NAME SUBOBJECT_NAME OBJECT_ID DATA_OBJECT_ID OBJECT_TYPE STATUS TEMPORARY GENERATED SECONDARY NAMESPACE WCDBA PNV_PG_TRACK 194812

194812

TABLE VALID N

1

select owner,segment_name, bytes/1024/1024/1024 from dba_segments
where upper(segment_name) = 'PNV_PG_TRACK'
/

NO ROWS RETURNED
select * from dba_extents de
where owner = 'WCDBA'
and DE.SEGMENT_NAME = 'PNV_PG_TRACK'
/

NO ROWS RETURNED
Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**