Re: analytics reference

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:46:40 -0500

I had to use a combination of resources together. I the Oracle Data Warehousing documentation (believe it or not) helped me a ton - reading the documentation (in order of each function) and then looking at examples from different blogs to see the query in action (and various forms it could take).

Then I took some of the most useful functions and started writing them against database tables where I wanted some details - so I could get used to using them:

Links:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25554/analysis.htm#DWHSG021

Helpful usage examples:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/misc/rank-dense-rank-first-last-analytic-functions.php
http://www.orafaq.com/node/55
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/issue-archive/2013/13-mar/o23sql-1906475.html

Book that was really helpful (but was (IMHO) a rehash of the Oracle documentation on the matter in better form): http://www.rampant-books.com/book_0802_advanced_sql_programming.htm by Laurent Schneider

Also Laurent Schneider has several posts scattered around the web with some good examples.

Best of luck!

Chris

P.S. When you finally write a MODEL statement and understand it and can manipulate it, it's AWESOME. (I've only done it a handful of times and would have to refresh my own use of it because I never see it in use by anyone besides me)