RE: SGA_TARGET substantially less than SGA_MAX_SIZE ?

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:28:00 +0800

> Is there any reason to run SGA_TARGET substantially less than SGA_MAX_SIZE

> For example is there any reason to run MAX=48GB, TARGET=12GB

No. That is too big a difference.

IMHO : If the TARGET is 12GB the MAX might be 14GB or 16GB at the most. On the other hand if the MAX is 48GB, the TARGET might be 40GB.

OTOH, most of what I’ve done, TARGET=MAX for databases that can allow me downtime to change the SGA size if and only if necessary to change.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kyle Hailey Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:05 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: SGA_TARGET substantially less than SGA_MAX_SIZE ?

Is there any reason to run SGA_TARGET substantially less than SGA_MAX_SIZE?

For example is there any reason to run MAX=48GB, TARGET=12GB instead of just running MAX at say 10% over TARGET to give some wiggle room?

Another way to put it: what are the pros and cons of running SGA_TARGET substantially less than SGA_MAX_SIZE ?

Thanks

Kyle

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.