Re: Oracle RAC Memory DB on Non-Engineered Systems?

From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:36:17 -0700

An Oracle employee told you that In-Memory Database option is not supported on RAC unless you buy hardware from Oracle? Tell us more please.

To answer your question though, yes, I do it all the time. I'll say a few words (as opposed to telling you to fetch the manuals).

The only "feature" you miss out on when combining RAC and In-Memory Database is the functionality that automatically duplicates the same columnar data on multiple nodes of the cluster. I think the argument is that since the column store resides on DRAM in a volatile state having multiple nodes with volatile state copies of the data assures higher availability. The counter argument is quite simple: When was the last time one of your database hosts crashed?

I won't argue the obvious added cost of DRAM because the entire cost of hosts pales in comparison to licensing of EE+RAC+IMDB+Partitioning even on a few cores.