RE: Redo I/O size seems much bigger the data write I/O

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:16:17 +0800

I would look at the (data) “Block Changes” statistics. You may be repeatedly updating the same data block (each update generating redo) but DBWR only writing the data block to disk after a large number of updates.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of amihay gonen Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:29 PM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Redo I/O size seems much bigger the data write I/O

Hi all,

in our test machine I see that the ratio between Redo size 1M per second is much lower then the Physical write 78.1 * 8K = 624K

I wonder if it is because our load test program , or also in a typical oracle production , we'll see more redo the Physical writes .

Assuming the following :

  1. no direct insert (bypassing oracle)
  2. DB is in archive log (production ...)

Load Profile

        Per Second

Per Transaction

Per Exec

Per Call

DB Time(s):

0.8

0.0

0.00

10.03

DB CPU(s):

0.7

0.0

0.00

7.97

Redo size:

1,685,501.9

2,699.9

Logical reads:

8,403.5

13.5

Block changes:

13,908.4

22.3

Physical reads:

0.1

0.0

Physical writes:

78.1

0.1

User calls:

0.1

0.0

Parses:

0.6

0.0

Hard parses:

0.1

0.0

W/A MB processed:

0.0

0.0

Logons:

0.0

0.0

Executes:

12,495.3

20.0

Rollbacks:

0.0

0.0

Transactions:

624.3

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.