Re: RAMFS and Oracle TMP Segment

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:24:08 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Alex,

> We are assessing an option of moving our TMP segment files to a ramfs file
> system. The Temporary tablespace is 40 GB in size.

If possible, I'd rather let Oracle handle the memory it needs. If you can identify where the temp pressure is coming from, it would seem more direct and simple to increase RAM allocation to the affected Oracle area (e.g. PGA), than to add the complexity of OS and filesystem layers to the mix.

If you choose to use ramfs, I'd also make sure that it's supported.

GL!

Rich