Re: DB 12.1.0.2 is out!

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:56:36 -0400

companies virtually never pay the 'full price' unless they are suckers who don't negotiate. Oracle lists really high prices than gives 'discounts'. Its the marketing strategy. I knew a guy about 7-8 years ago who got RAC on a 4 cpu server (before multi-cores) for $4k per server all inclusive. It was a small business. Government genreally buys packages. I was on a US government project a years ago where they had a package with a license for everything... (including app server, rac , etc... and we weren't using it) at less than $10k/cpu.

The prices tend to vary radically. Threatening to go to IBM or microsoft and seeming believable about it seems to get them to lower prices.