Why does PURGE DBA_RECYCLEBIN require SYSDBA?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:35:17 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

Dealing with data refreshes and some recyclebin issues in 11.2.0.3, and the topic of DBA_RECYCLEBIN rears it's ugly head again. Why exactly is the special SYSDBA priv required to PURGE DBA_RECYCLEBIN when a workaround of iteratively purging the collective tablespace/user combinations in DBA_RECYCLEBIN requires only DROP ANY?

I had started a blog years ago to show how this and other "security" aspects in Oracle are pointless as there are easy workarounds, but never took the time. And I *must* be missing some valid reason, right?

TIA,
Rich