Re: RAC Multiple Instance vs Service vs Serverpool

From: Ludovico Caldara <ludovico.caldara_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:14:08 +0200

Hi Sanjay,
my answers are below your questions...

> Serverpool is still dark as not clear that if a service srvA is running on
> two node ServerPool as singleton service and if that node goes down, it
> will relocate to second node and raise question like
>
> - What will happen and how fast is this relocation done automatically
> by Oracle
>
> The service is relocated ONLY in case of instance/server crash.
If you consciounsly shutdown your database (even srvctl stop instance -o abort) the service will be stopped.
So you have to relocate it first in case of shutdown. This is weird... but... the expected behavior, I presume. Usually it takes 2-3 seconds, to relocate the service AND your session.

> - If the original node is back, does this singleton service comes back
> to original node or will stay on second node like ole Service concept until
> manually relocated to original or required node.
>
> No, it will stay where it is unless you relocate it manually.

> - If in 4 node RAC, I had two serverpool of two node each and if any
> serverpool both node crashed, how we can make sure that it can take one of
> the node from second available Serverpool and bring all Database/services
> earlier running on Serverpol A live on ServerPool 2
>
> specify -min 1 for both serverpools so in case of two server crashes you
will have always one node for each serverpool.

> TIA
> Sanjay

Best regards

--