Re: Controlfiles just got overwritten

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:56:06 -0700

"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly, "as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons." Norton Juster, "The Phantom Tollbooth"   David Fitzjarrell Principal author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide" On Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:01 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu> wrote: I ended up recovering the database from a backup done the day before and rolling forward. I also modified my instructions for recreating a standby database.  Instead of 'cp -p' to copy my standby control file to the appropriate directory on the standby server, I will now use 'cp -pi'. I'm still feeling badly for making this mistake, but I'm amazed at how understanding my coworkers have been. - Maureen On 7/16/2014 11:00 PM, Justin Mungal wrote: > How did it go? I've been in situations where the current control files were no longer valid. Sometimes recreating them > has been the simplest thing to do. > > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu <mailto:maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>> wrote: > >    I just did one of the stupidest things in my life and overwrote our production >    database control files with a copy of the standby controlfile. > >    I have a backup of the real control files from yesterday afternoon, but we've >    been up and running all day.  Is there an easy way to recover my control files >    and be back running any time soon? > >    - Maureen >    -- >    http://www.freelists.org/__webpage/oracle-l <http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l> > > > -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l