Re: New database servers...one listener or one for each database.

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:44:15 -0600

On 16/07/2014 7:58 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
> (I'm only brainstorming here - not sure its a great idea)
>
> ​If you dedicate an Oracle binaries install to each db, and a listener
> out of each Oracle binaries install, then you could upgrade any one db
> without impacting the others - thus shutting down the listener for the
> affected db while the others are oblivious.
>
> Chris

Which is exactly the way we did it in Oracle 7.

And we moved away from this because of the excess administration and because Oracle moved toward using *service* as the basis for connection.

Remember that there are (at least) 125 services possible with a single database. With MultiTenant, this moves up to 512.

Speaking of MultiTenant, which will likely be the *only* architecture in the future, would the team be interested in creating a separate listener for each PDB?

/Hans