Re: Have 10g and 11g on the same server

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:33:42 -0500

Oliver,

The answers to these questions depend a lot on your requirements.

The decision about whether to use separate owners for each installation should be based purely on your security requirements. If there is no reason to separate who can access which binaries, then you should use a single user for both.

You can use multiple inventories on a single server but it makes things much more complicated and is not recommended unless you really need to do it. If not, use a single inventory and make sure all of your binary owners are in the same group (oinstall).

Keep things as simple and as close to oracle specifications as possible while still meeting your security requirements and you'll be thankful when (not if) something goes wrong.

Seth Miller