Re: Sun Servers

From: <przemolicc_at_poczta.fm>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:09:10 +0200

Hi all,Solaris Zones are more similar to AIX WPARs.Using Solaris Zones you create virtual servers at the kernel level so basically you have one Solaris per physical server with several virtual Solaris servers.If you use e.g. Sparc server you can physically partition server and install separated Solaris in each partition (and then of course if you wish createseveral virtual servers called Solaris Zones :-)&nbsp; ).RegardsPrzemekOd: "De DBA" &lt;dedba_at_tpg.com.au&gt;Do: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; Wysłane: 9:42 Środa 2014-07-09Temat: Re: Sun Servers

    Containers, zones and partitioning are used interchangeably but do     not necessarily refer to the same thing. I think it is important to     realise that machine partitioning into separate domains is (on Sun     boxes) done at the OpenBoot level, not in the OS. The Solaris zones     (in Solaris11) are merely logically separated process spaces. This     can be seen in the root zone, where all running processes including     those in zones are listed by tools such as ps(1). I believe that     Solaris Zones are comparable to AIX LPARs, at least in this respect.     In OEL you could use the OVM/Xen kernel for this purpose.     As far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong) when the machine is     partitioned, resources such as CPU and memory cannot be shared     between domains. When using logical partitions, a.k.a. zones, the OS     resources can be pooled and shared between zones.     The ability to partition a machine may be an advantage, depending on     your intended use. I've never seen it implemented.     Hth,
    TonyOn 09/07/14 15:22, Ronan Merrick wrote:

      Thanks Mark.
      That sounds pretty cool.&nbsp;
      One of the big selling points I got from Oracle was
        the ability to partition machines.
      Ronan
      On 9 Jul 2014 00:07, "Mark Burgess" &lt;mark_at_burgess-consulting.com.au&gt;
        wrote:

                              Ronan,

                            we have
                              deployed a couple of X4-2L for a customer
                              - environment is 11.2.0.4 on Solaris 11.1
                              x86_64. I have been very impressed with
                              what the Solaris 11.1/Zones/ZFS
                              combination provides. We have the database
                              servers on the X4-2L mounting a ZFS
                              storage server over dNFS via a 10G and 1G
                              combiation. The X4-2L have been
                              provisioned with 4xF80 flash cards in them
                              as well that have allowed us to allocate
                              specific flash devices to different zones
                              as required. It is a very powerful and
                              flexible platform to deploy databases and
                              application servers on.

                            Regards,

                            Mark

              On 9 Jul 2014, at 8:19 am, Ronan Merrick &lt;merrickronan1_at_gmail.com&gt;
                wrote:

                Thanks for replying Jack.
                Pretty much the same move I am looking at -
                  Dell/Red Hat to Sun/OEL.
                They will be standalone servers though not
                  ODA's.
                Ronan
                On 8 Jul 2014 23:11, "Jack
                  Applewhite" &lt;jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org&gt;
                  wrote:

                        We've moved all our 20+ databases from RedHat
                          Linux Dell servers to two new X4-2 ODAs -
                          Oracle Linux on Sun servers. &nbsp;We're happy so
                          far. &nbsp;The ODA environment is &nbsp;a lot more
                          restrictive than just a standalone server.&nbsp;
                          However, it is simpler.

                            ----
                                Jack C. Applewhite - Database
                                Administrator
                                Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department512.414.9250
                                (wk)

                          From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
                              &lt;oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org&gt;
                              on behalf of Ronan Merrick &lt;merrickronan1_at_gmail.com&gt;Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:19 PMTo: Andrew KerberCc: Matthew Zito; oracle-lSubject: Re: Sun Servers
                            &nbsp;

                                Thanks Andrew.
                                I'll keep that in mind.
                              Factory install of Oracle Linux is an
                                option. I did all my OCP practicing and
                                testing on Oracle Linux and I liked it.
                              Ronan
                            On Tue, Jul 8,
                                2014 at 10:15 PM, Andrew Kerber
                                  &lt;andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com&gt;
                                wrote:
                                  Ok, then I have no
                                    opinion on that particular line.&nbsp; My
                                    irritations stem from the Sun OS.

                                      On Tue,
                                          Jul 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM,
                                          Matthew Zito
                                            &lt;matt_at_crackpotideas.com&gt;
                                          wrote:
                                            Note that the
                                              X4-2 server *is* an Intel
                                              server, it's not one of
                                              the SPARC line of
                                              processors.&nbsp;

                                                On
                                                    Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at
                                                    5:04 PM, Andrew
                                                    Kerber
                                                      &lt;andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com&gt;
                                                    wrote:
                                                        am really not
                                                        fond of Sun
                                                        servers.&nbsp; In my
                                                        experience they
                                                        are less
                                                        powerful then
                                                        similarly priced
                                                        intel servers,
                                                        plus they have
                                                        their own set of
                                                        foibles that are
                                                        irritating.&nbsp;

                                    --
                                      Andrew W. Kerber
                                      'If at first you dont succeed,

                      Confidentiality Notice: This email message,
                      including all attachments, is for the sole use of
                      the intended recipient(s) and may contain
                      confidential student and/or employee information.
                      Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under
                      the federal Family Educational Rights &amp;
                      Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19
                      TAC 247.2, Gov’t Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355,
                      29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended
                      recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or
                      disseminate this information. Please call the
                      sender immediately or reply by email and destroy
                      all copies of the original message, including
                      attachments.