Re: Sun Servers

From: Rayson Ho <raysonlogin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 23:03:32 -0400

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, then I have no opinion on that particular line. My irritations stem
> from the Sun OS.

Older Sun OS releases were slow, but Solaris 10 was a major release with all the features that every Linux guy wanted, for example ZFS, DTrace, Zones/Containers. But then Ronan is going to run Oracle Linux so the OS is at least identical or better than RHEL. And the Oracle Linux subscription comes with many additional add-ons that are not available in RHEL - eg. Oracle Enterprise Manager and KSplice.

In terms of the hardware, an Intel CPU is an Intel CPU no matter one gets the server from Dell or Oracle. I've worked with IBM System X servers and Sun/Oracle servers (at that time it was the pre-Oracle days in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SunRackMountServers.jpg ), and I don't find any major difference.

IMO, the real advantage in choosing the Oracle server is the support -- that is, you only need to contact Oracle, and it handles the hardware (Sun Server X4-2), the OS (Oracle Linux, with or without their enhanced Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel), and the middleware or database (Oracle DB). For some customers it is not a big deal, but for larger customers, the advantage of calling just one company for support means less back and forth between different vendors and often means less headache.

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html