RE: Intermittent ORA-12516 ( TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack)

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:31:09 +0800

 I am asking you because I researched quite a lot about this error, and all solutions say this is a number of processes/sessions, but this is not the case, since sessions/processes number is quite low, and far from the maximum.

Nevertheless, check with select * from v$resource_limit; and check MAX_UTILIZATION against INITIAL_ALLOCATION and LIMIT_VALUE for processes and sessions.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of nico torres Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 11:08 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Intermittent ORA-12516 ( TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack)

Hi guys,

JDBC Connections to my 11.2.0.4 Database are getting this error quite intermittently:

TNS-12516: TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack

 I am asking you because I researched quite a lot about this error, and all solutions say this is a number of processes/sessions, but this is not the case, since sessions/processes number is quite low, and far from the maximum.

I searched in the listener.log, and only found "Warning: Subscription For Node Down Event Still Pending" warnings, and solved them setting SUBSCRIBE_FOR_NODE_DOWN_EVENT=OFF, but it had nothing to do with the error, because it keeps showing up.

Couldn't find any more information on the listener.log, only the same errors JDBC connections are getting (TNS-12516: TNS:listener could not find available handler with matching protocol stack)

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.