RE: FW: Manual UPgrade question

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 10:30:19 -0400

Nods. As Oracle promised might occur from at least the V5 manuals forward, Oracle implemented a non-ordering method of aggregation (specifically hash), so that group-by no longer inherently performed a sort. If memory serves, only a few releases of V5 did a gratuitous extra sort in the presence of group by and order by, so it was (almost) never a good idea to leave the order by out if you wanted it. (And random ordering of reports is rarely wanted, though hash order of intermediate results can potentially swing in value either way).

So yes, scrutinize your code for this (but don’t consider it an Oracle flaw).

Back on the OP’s first post, I was wondering *why* export/import was ruled out. Size?

And I understand not wanting to temporarily pay extra for GG and similar.

But – even if you data volume is very large, if your transaction rate is modest it is possible to implement a variety of change tracking and propagating mechanisms as of 9i.

Big multi-version upgrades do always pose various challenges if windows are tight. Good luck with the process.

mwf