Questions about SQL Plan Management

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:48:01 -0700

Since cost-based query transformation and rewrites are done before the optimization phase and since the plans stored in SQL Plan Management do not capture the transformations and rewrites, can we assert that SQL Plan Management is not a foolproof way of guaranteeing query plan stability? Also, is query plan stability guaranteed in the absence of transformation and rewrites; that is, in the absence of query transformation and rewrites, can we assert that the collection of hints stored in SQL Plan Management (or in a stored outline) are always sufficient to reproduce the original query plan in all cases? Iggy