higher version Standby database?

From: Chen Zhou <oracle.unknowns_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 10:07:07 -0700

Hi, Everyone,
A colleague of mine asked me if I knew what to do in this situation. We have a 10.2.0.4 RAC system that needs to be migrated to better servers. Because of other issues with the primary database, one hurried decision led to anther, yet another, the end result is he ends up having a 10.2.0.5 standby RAC database now. The goal is to activate the standby and retire the primary database/servers. However with the primary at 10.2.0.4 and standby at 10.2.0.5.12 with some additional patches, both of us don't know what is a safe and sure way to migrate in this situation. Redo the standby would be the last choice due to time-constraint and the stressed-out primary database.
Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. Chen