RE: sql error

From: McPeak, Matt <vxsmimmcp_at_subaru.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:09:06 +0000

Slight optimization (I invite thoughts from the experts who lurk here...): add "ORDER BY UC.ROWID" in the SELECT portion. If the update is very large and the join plan doesn't return rows in ROWID order, then the update hits the same blocks many times, degrading performance (badly, I have found).

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Uzzell, Stephan Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 3:17 PM
To: 'JSweetser_at_icat.com'; Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org; oracle-l (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) Cc: Uzzell, Stephan
Subject: RE: sql error

Assuming roswellrlm is the schema, and u_callannotate and u_c_b are tables, this seems like the perfect place for an update a join:

Something like this (not tested as I don't have your schema) might do what you want:

update

        (
          select
                  uc.er

, ucb.er new_er
, uc.pr
, ucb.pr new_pr
, uc.her2
, ucb.her2 new_her2
from U_COLLANNOTATE uc
, u_c_b ucb
where uc.collannotateid = ucb.u_caid ) set er = new_er , pr = new_pr , her2 = new_her2

/

Stephan Uzzell | Senior Database Administrator | Managed Services |MICROS Systems, Inc. Direct: 443.285.8000x2345 | Mobile: 443.864.1725 | suzzell_at_micros.com<mailto:suzzell_at_micros.com> | www.micros.com<blocked::http://www.micros.com>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sweetser, Joe Sent: Monday, 16 June, 2014 15:06
To: Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org<mailto:Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>; oracle-l (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) Subject: RE: sql error

Could it be the period in the table_name?

roswellrlm.u_c_b.u_caid

roswellrlm.u_c_b_u_caid ?

Is rosellrlm a schema?

-joe
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zelli, Brian Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 12:54 PM
To: oracle-l (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) Subject: sql error

update roswellrlm.U_COLLANNOTATE

set U_COLLANNOTATE.ER = roswellrlm.u_c_b.ER,
    U_COLLANNOTATE.PR = roswellrlm.u_c_b.PR,
    U_COLLANNOTATE.HER2 = roswellrlm.u_c_b.HER2
where u_collannotate.u_collannotateid = roswellrlm.u_c_b.u_caid;

I try and run this and I get:

ORA-00904: "ROSWELLRLM"."U_CE_B"."U_CAID": invalid identifier

What the heck is wrong? At first I thought the name was too long so I shortened it but it is still the same error.

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you. Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT, Underwriters at Lloyd's, Syndicate 4242, scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.