Re: Oracle service starts but the instance does not

From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:34:28 +0530

Hi Peter,

You got chance to check oradim.log located in ORACLE_HOME\database? Also if it is happening whenever server reboot then better to check 1) ORACLE_SID_START set to TRUE?
2) ORA_SID_PFILE - PFILE attribute from registry.

Thank you.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Schauss, Peter (ESS) <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com
> wrote:

> Environment: 32 bit Oracle 11.2.0.3 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
> Edition SP2
>
> I have 18 small Oracle instances running on this server (don't ask). All
> of the OracleService<sid> services are set to Startup Type= Automatic.
> When the server was restarted after Microsoft patches last night, one of
> the instances did not restart even though the Services screen showed that
> its service was running. The alert log had no entries between the time
> that the server went down for reboot and the time that I restarted it
> manually.
>
> Is there any way for me to determine what happened?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Schauss

Nassyam Basha.
Oracle DBA