Fwd: oracle-l Digest V11 #161 - here: Scan listener monitoring

From: Markus Michalewicz <markus.michalewicz_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:10:26 -0700

Hello Stalin,

     Regarding BUG 12659561 - this is a BUG and should be fixed by applying the respective patch.

For more information see the following MOS note (Doc ID 12659561.8) - Bug 12659561 - after scan listener failover, database instance might not register to the scan listener

SCAN listeners are already monitored as part of the Oracle Clusterware stack, which is why they are "failed over" as required. You trying to capture such a failover to perhaps apply the manual workaround mentioned in the note will require you to tail logs or implement an additional monitoring for the SCAN listener(s). As you noticed, the FAN events do not include listener events, as they are meant for clients. The client uses a service registered with the listener to connect to the DB. Hence, mainly service events will be sent to the client.

If you ask me, I recommend fixing the BUG. BUG fixes are available in many patches and you can request an additional backport as required.

Hope that helps. Thanks, good luck and have a great weekend,

       Markus

Markus Michalewicz | Director of Product Management Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC)
Phone: +16505065444 <tel:+16505065444> | Mobile: +16502937832 <tel:+16502937832>
500 Oracle Parkway M/S 4OP840 | Redwood Shores, CA 94065

oracle-l Digest Thu, 05 Jun 2014 Volume: 11 Issue: 161

In This Issue:

		Re: EM 12c best practise!!
		RE: Reads from Control file under "IOStat by Filetype summar
		Re: Reads from Control file under "IOStat by Filetype summar
		Re: Reads from Control file under "IOStat by Filetype summar
		Re: thanks to whomever made the suggestion to include anchor
		Oracle VM usage for database servers
		Re: Oracle VM usage for database servers
		Re: Oracle VM usage for database servers
		Used-Mem in execution plans
		Encryption over Database Link
		Re: Encryption over Database Link
		JDK 7 Garbage Collector with Oracle FMW 11g SOA Suite
		Re: Encryption over Database Link
		Re: Encryption over Database Link
		Re: Encryption over Database Link
		RE: Encryption over Database Link
		RE: Encryption over Database Link
		Re: ORA-16000: database open for read-only access
		DBA_AUDIT_SESSION shows a failed login for DBSNMP every 5 mi
		spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: Encryption over Database Link
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: DB12c in Production?
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		RE: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		*Scan listener monitoring*
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		Re: spfile used in RAC 10.2.0.4
		OT: What about creating a repository of scripts of oracle-l
		OT: So, I also direct the University Chorus of the Upper Val
		Re: Used-Mem in execution plans

From: Stalin Subbiah<stalinsk_at_gmail.com> Subject: Scan listener monitoring
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 15:29:21 -0700

We had an interesting problem few days ago in our production environment where one of the scan listener wasn't showing all the instances/services registered to it. Other 2 scans were fine. We did have scan listener fail-over to other active nodes when node reboots were performed. Apparently, we had hit "Bug 12659561 after scan listener failover, database instance might not register to the scan listener".

I was wondering how to monitor scan listener fail-over / relocate to another active nodes, whenever that event happens. I looked up FAN user callouts which we use to monitor services up/down events but don't see anything for scan vip nor listener.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stalin
11.2.0.2.6, RH x86_64