RE: Adding new column for large table with online redefinition

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 06:54:10 -0400

Prabhu

Missed your question earlier. Yes it is possible and is likely the only option. That’s based on my experience.

Only thing to watch out for is the archive log generation and of course space.

Regards

  • Raj Pande

UBS AG   Platform Services - Operations

  Global Service Delivery (GSDM)

  480 Washington Blvd. Jersey City, NJ 07310

  TEL# - External - +1 201 318 7597

             Internal - 19 436 7597

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Cunningham, Mike Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:56 PM
To: prabhu_adam_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Adding new column for large table with online redefinition

Hi Prabhu, in my opinion 60+ million rows does not warrant 70 or 58 hours for the update. I’m concerned at that amount of time and wonder if the update is being performed with full scans. I know this does not answer your question about online redefinition and I have not tried redef for column addition so I am not able to offer help in that area. However, my first thought would be to look at why this is taking so long. Can you offer any further info such as execution plan and waits that you are experiencing during the update/merge?

Michael Cunningham
Senior Database Administrator
The Doctors' Company
707.226.0221 - desk
707.337.0184 - cell

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Prabhu Krishnaswamy Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 12:07 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Adding new column for large table with online redefinition

Lists

We are adding a new column for a real large table (60+ million rows) and will update the column value from another table based on a matching condition. With normal update and merge statement, its taking around 70 and 58 hours respectively. We are exploring an option using online redefinition method. Is it possible to using the SQL on the column mapping string.

Any suggestions or insights will be much helpful for us.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks

Prabhu

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments hereto may contain confidential and privileged communications or information and/or attorney client communications or work-product protected by law. The information contained herein is transmitted for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or designated agent of the recipient of such information, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may subject you to penalties under federal and/or state law. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this e-mail.

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html for important disclosures and information about our e-mail policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information.