RE: Question about changing GI Home

From: Tyfanie Wineriter <tyfaniew_at_uoregon.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:09:03 +0000

Scott:

I've never done the Grid Home Move below, but I have removed then reinstalled Grid into a new directory before. It was my test cluster so I don't know what kind of downtime you'd experience, and I had to tell Grid about all my databases, services, listeners, and instances after the reinstall (via srvctl), but it did work successfully.

I actually did a presentation at Collaborate14 about the reinstall, and the things I would suggest recording out of Grid before the reinstall. If you're interested, I can send you my presentation, which had all the notes in it. It's not a step-by-step reinstall guide, but it might help with finding what gotchas & caveats you may want to look into before doing your move, in case the move doesn't work & you have to reinstall.

~ Tyfanie Wineriter ~

Database Administrator
University of Oregon
1212 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97402-1212
(541) 346-1366

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Deas, Scott Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:11 AM
To: ORACLE-L (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) Subject: Question about changing GI Home

List,

Hoping someone has run through this before and can provide some of their experiences.

We had a contractor (no longer with us) who performed an install of GI 11.2.0.3 on a Red Hat Linux 6.4 cluster (2 nodes) into an 11.2.0.4 directory structure (/u01/app/grid/11.2.0.4).

Well, now we want to upgrade from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 and are trying to find the cleanest way to do this. Some ideas have included wiping the host (not preferred), de-installing GI, moving 11.2.0.3 binaries and performing brand new install (as if the original never existed).

A co-worker found the following document from Oracle that talks about changing the GI home path, which seems like the simplest way to do it:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e41961/rem_orcl.htm#CWLIN2955

We'd shut everything down, follow the instructions, modify some of our profiles and oratab, and then we could run our 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 upgrade like normal.

So, is this really as easy as the referenced document makes it seem? What are the caveats and gotchas we should know before going into this?

We're setting up a sandbox environment to test this, but any insight from past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**