Re: oraenv ownership in RAC

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 08:33:29 -0600

Personally, I make sure these are owned by the oracle (DB) s/w owner, not GI. As well as oratab. The reason is that they tie closely to DBCA, whereas the interaction with ASM is effectively a once-only. And I believe they should be only updated when the newest DB patchset is applied, and then ... only if you have not customized them.

Leads to the larger question - what are *you* using oraenv for?

One use is to support dbstart/dbshut - however, in RAC environment, those are pretty much replaced by CRS.

Since it sets ORACLE_SID/BASE/HOME for an instance (and cleans the PATH, it is very useful when the context is an INSTANCE. But my experience is that RAC interaction tends to be evenly spread between INSTANCE and DB at the command line, and programs should be normally access by SERVICE instead of either SID or DBNAME.

Top of head, I can not remember whether oratab stores SID or DBNAME *in a RAC environment*, but I've pretty much had to go fiddle with oratab every RAC install to make oraenv useful. Eventually I gave up, which is sad because I believe oraenv is a powerful tool.

/Hans