Re: options for standby database

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:11:03 -0800

Thanks!

David, Golden Gate sounds promising...time to do more research. I think that GoldenGate is pretty expensive, but hey, isn't everything negotiable these days?

Jared, you're right, Windows doesn't help :-)

I've also heard that Streams will no longer be supported after 11gR2.

  • Maureen

On 5/20/2014 12:26 PM, David Fitzjarrell wrote:
> This sounds like a case for Golden Gate as it can perform cross-endian replication:
>
> Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate <http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/dataguardgoldengate-096557.html>
>
> It does require licensing but it may be a way to replicate your production database without moving it to Linux.
>

> Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate <http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/dataguardgoldengate-096557.html>
> A comparison between Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate
>
> View on www.oracle.com <http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/dataguardgoldengate-096557.html>
>
> Preview by Yahoo
>
> David Fitzjarrell
> Principal author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"
> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:14 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> We currently have our main production database running on HP-UX with a
> standby database, also HP-UX, at our DR site.
>
> It's possible that we will lose funding for the DR site at some point in
> the next few years, so management is looking into Amazon Web Services -
> Cloud Computing Services to host our DR servers. From what I understand,
> AWS Cloud is Linux only.
>
> Since Oracle doesn't yet support HP-UX primary/Linux standby, I think
> that our only option is to move our production database to Linux. Is
> that true, or can anyone think of some other option? Or, is it possible
> that Oracle might support HP-UX primary/Linux standby in the near future?
> Or, is HP-UX primary/Linux standby not likely possible any time soon
> because HP-UX is big-endian and x86-64 is little-endian?
>
> - Maureen

Maureen English
Lead Database Administrator
University of Alaska