options for standby database

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 12:14:14 -0800

Hi,

We currently have our main production database running on HP-UX with a standby database, also HP-UX, at our DR site.

It's possible that we will lose funding for the DR site at some point in the next few years, so management is looking into Amazon Web Services - Cloud Computing Services to host our DR servers. From what I understand, AWS Cloud is Linux only.

Since Oracle doesn't yet support HP-UX primary/Linux standby, I think that our only option is to move our production database to Linux. Is that true, or can anyone think of some other option? Or, is it possible that Oracle might support HP-UX primary/Linux standby in the near future? Or, is HP-UX primary/Linux standby not likely possible any time soon because HP-UX is big-endian and x86-64 is little-endian?

  • Maureen