odm vs cio on vxfs

From: tefetufe . <coskan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 09:31:41 +0400

Hi,

we are in the middle of choosing the most suitable standard for our estate for I/O. we are using vxfs as filesystem and I wonder if any one in the list can share their experiences on using Oracle Disk Manager (odm) or Concurrent I/O and why would I chose one on another.

in the past on 10g, I experienced very slow backups from DR site when ODM is used. Never had chance to be in a position to test both on the same application but I experienced very good improvements by using CIO to attack log file sync issues.

on the paper odm looks like it has more features around block management which I'm not able to prove so I wonder if the features on the paper are still valid for 11g.

For me , What really matters is performance. During our tests, If CIO performs way better then cio will probably the the best choice but if the difference is not big then benefits from ODM will probably impact the decision as the features on paper attracts the platform guys.

appreciate if any of you can share your experiences

Thanks in advance

by the way asm is not an option.