Fwd: Urgent - change log_archive_dest_1 during recovery?

From: Ingrid Voigt <GiantPanda_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 00:13:17 +0200

Thanks everybody who replied.

Restore and recovery were successfully finished an hour ago.

Best regards
Ingrid

  • Original Message -------- Subject: Urgent - change log_archive_dest_1 during recovery? Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 11:21:01 +0200 From: Ingrid Voigt <giantpanda_at_gmx.net> Reply-To: giantpanda_at_gmx.net To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

Hi,

(this is a current production recovery and not a test).

We are doing RMAN PITR for a database with more than 7000 archivelogs to be recovered. (Restore was successful, recovery is currently running).

log_archive_dest_1 is probably not big enough to take all these archivelogs at the
same time. We have come up with two options to prevent it from filling up:

  1. Change the archivelog destination to another disk during recovery - will this even work?
  2. Move / delete archivelogs that have already been recovered
    (v$recovery_progress has this info). - Will this do anything bad other than
    possibly confusing the next backup?

Are there other options?

We have about three hours to make a decision, so I'd very much appreciate your quick feedback...