Re: Urgent - change log_archive_dest_1 during recovery?

From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:20:48 +0530

Hi Ingrid,

For clarification, as you said 7000 archive logs to be recovered and that mean the archives are already in place and available for the database (or) you are still restoring from backup or scp from other server?

There is no problem if you change log_archive_dest_1 at any time, By thus changes the new archives will be stored in the new location and there will be no problem for the archives which are already restored in old location, because those entries are already available and written ed. you can check from (v$archived_log and other views).

Regarding the second option,
a) Move, if you move the archive logs manually. then oracle doesn't know where you have moved, so again you have to catalog and crosscheck them to ensure the locations are changed. If you moving only recovered archives then its not real issue for the on-going recovery.

b) Delete, You can certainly delete recovered archives, but check if they are required again in case (or) perform the compressed backup of archives and see if it works for you.

Am sorry if i miss something your point. Thank you.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Ingrid Voigt <giantpanda_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (this is a current production recovery and not a test).
>
> We are doing RMAN PITR for a database with more than 7000 archivelogs to be
> recovered. (Restore was successful, recovery is currently running).
>
> log_archive_dest_1 is probably not big enough to take all these
> archivelogs at the
> same time. We have come up with two options to prevent it from filling up:
>
> 1) Change the archivelog destination to another disk during recovery
> - will this even work?
> 2) Move / delete archivelogs that have already been recovered
> (v$recovery_progress has this info). - Will this do anything bad other than
> possibly confusing the next backup?
>
> Are there other options?
>
> We have about three hours to make a decision, so I'd very much appreciate
> your quick feedback...
>

> Thanks and best regards
> Ingrid Voigt

Nassyam Basha.