Re: move catalog question

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 15:10:12 +1000

The RMAN catalog is just a schema in an Oracle database. Would it not be easier & quicker to export that schema (presumably RMAN or RCAT or similar) and import it into the new database? You'll end up with a backup copy in the process, which can't be wrong ;) . Don't forget to disable connections to the old catalog, so that rman clients won't update the catalog after you exported it.

If you configured your TNSNames files with hostnames rather than ip addresses (as you should), then it will suffice to change the DNS entry to serve the linux server's ip address after the old server is decommissioned. Otherwise you need to touch each and every file, yeah.. In that case, may I suggest to introduce a DNS alias for the RMAN catalog that resolves to the actual server that hosts it? This will make moving to a new server much easier in the future. E.g.:

  • in the dns zone file:
rman_catalog        CNAME    our_linux_server
our_linux_server    A            1.1.1.1

  • in the tnsnames files:

RMAN =
   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = rman_catalog)(PORT = 1521))
     (CONNECT_DATA =...
     )

   )

__

If you need to change servers again, just change the CNAME record in the DNS zone to point to the new server.

The tnsnames file is read each time a sqlnet connection is made, so you have until the next RMAN run to change the entry. The DNS server will serve the changed record immediately after the change (and the server process was made aware of it, e.g. by HUPping it), but running daemon processes may cache the old record for a while.

Cheers,
Tony