RE: Migration Project: MSSQL to Oracle

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 09:57:16 -0400

well said.

Now as for using the ODBC gateway at scale across dblinks: Problems I’ve had in the past revolved around awkward remote joins and/or limits injected by missing one of the packet size limitations or “arraysize” limits somewhere in the gazinto or cumzouta stack.

For a migration, pulling one table at time per connection with a simple select should not cause any horrible problems.

After you figure out your specific network stuff, I’d suggest a rate test on a single pull at a time to establish a baseline and then ramp up measuring rate to find your operational plateau.

Depending on any network gotchas, it *might* prove easier to use a local to the source copy of Oracle XE to create a set of files you can move between the machines as files containing the source database. If you have a single tablespace bigger than 11G that would be a problem for Oracle XE. They’ve got some pretty big devices now with USB 3 or firewire that have impressive bandwidth just by moving a cable. This harkens back to not underestimating the bandwidth of a box of 9track tapes on Greyhound Bus.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 5:19 AM
To: niktek2005_at_gmail.com
Cc: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; Bobby Curtis - ACE; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: Migration Project: MSSQL to Oracle

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:22 AM, Nik Tek <niktek2005_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hans is right, there is nothing free from Oracle, except the client drivers.

I was told, even oracle XE is not free to ship your software.

I very much doubt that Hans would have told you that, because, well it isn't true :) Oracle SQL*Developer http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/overview/index.html and the predecessor technology for db migration Oracle Migration Workbench both count as free. Oracle XE is free (in words I had a part in ) to develop, deploy and distribute. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/overview/index.html

In the context of this discussion the SQL Server specific gateway is a separately licensable product, the generic gateway for ODBC is included in the database license for the target database. If you find that too limiting you might also look into SQL Server Integration Services which is included in the Enterprise Edition license for SQL Server that presumably already exists on the source side.