RE: EBS (12.1.3) / HCC and SSC

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 09:14:04 -0400

Once again, it is NOT that HCC does NOT work with EBS.

In the typical installation it is not the most performant option because of the texture of updates to the data. In larger installations with a lot of static history that might change.

On the other hand, other types of Oracle compression have yielded performance improvements for EBS because the relative increased CPU cost for repetitive compression and unloading data blocks is more than offset by reduced CPU cost of data block i/o due to reading fewer blocks. That has been shown to be in the sweet spot of both less total CPU and less total i/o for EBS and resultant lower elapsed time for users. The only question then is whether those savings are worth the extra license cost for advanced compression if you do not already have it. If it saves you from adding more CPUs to a server license that is likely a win. Regular compression is also worth testing on a per implementation basis.

I recommend the Steven Chan blog for reading on this topic

 <http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenchan> Oracle E-Business Suite Technology Blog

Worth repeating: HCC works with EBS. Something else usually works even better. (See Mike's point, below, too.)

mwf

From: George Leonard - Business Connexion [mailto:George.Leonard_at_bcx.co.za] Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:12 AM
To: Michael Brown
Cc: Mark Farnham; niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L; Frits Hoogland; jpiwowar_at_gmail.com
Subject: Re: EBS (12.1.3) / HCC and SSC

<snip>

Hi guys

I'm still amazed though, Oracle's Major push for Engineered systems, LJE's major push for using EHCC on Exa (it's one of the hot features of ED), with the potential compression numbers repeated often, EBS major product/revenue source.

Making me think this would have been the first combination they would make work, targeting any all EBS clients, Oracle's one GSI, I know they use HCC there, well I remember hearing they do...

Lets see, I'm doing some more digging.

<snip>

I would also expect undoing HCC to be support's first plan if they know HCC is being used and it is a performance related SR.

--

Michael Brown

dba_at_michael-brown.org

http://blog.michael-brown.org <http://blog.michael-brown.org/>

On May 7, 2014, at 6:06 PM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com> wrote:

That is correct. You'll want to be sure the exact patch level of the Exadata
box you are using is on the EBS certification matrix for the release and
patch level of EBS you are using.

That makes you certified and eligible for support if the appropriate
contract is paid up.

If your HCC usage triggered a bug in HCC, I suppose undoing the HCC might be
the recommended fix. But without a bug, the EBS application should not be
able to tell the difference, and it would be a bug if it could. But you're
right that it might be an HCC bug. In fact if the EBS applications can tell
the difference I think that defines it as an HCC bug. Then the question
would be whether or not to hold your breath until a patch was made to the
hypothetical HCC bug. I'd recommend against any such breath holding.

AND they do not recommend it for performance reasons due to their testing.

In the case where the OP was going to do some sort of time based
partitioning and HCC only the old stuff, it seems highly unlikely there
would be a problem.

Conversely it would probably be brain dead to HCC current invoices on and do
a check run.

mwf