RE: Diskgroups for redo, controlfiles, and temp?

From: Herring, David <HerringD_at_DNB.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 16:55:42 -0500

Excellent wording!

I'm trying to be open to all possibilities and not squash anything outright unless I know otherwise. So we've never considered special diskgroups for redo/controlfiles/temp but then again these items have never been a bottleneck in terms of throughput and needing their own diskgroups. And we've done this for all 200+ databases our team supports that are on ASM.

I have requested that the consultant present any best practices and/or statistics off any of our databases that shows we need this for the new system. I don't expect to get any but to me getting any feedback from oracle-l is golden and helps me make sure I've covered my bases.

BTW, thank you everyone for not smacking me for this - I forgot to give env info. RHEL 6.4, Oracle 11.2.0.3.9. I know it doesn't matter as much for my question but I should have shared originally anyway.

Dave Herring

From: Seth Miller [mailto:sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 4:42 PM
To: Herring, David
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Diskgroups for redo, controlfiles, and temp?

Dave,

Have you (or this outside resource) identified any of these files as being a bottleneck?

"High level" tells me that this change is a solution in need of a problem.

Seth Miller

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Herring, David <HerringD_at_dnb.com> wrote: Folks,

Has anyone ever run into blogs that have demostrated large performance gains, when on a SAN, by splitting out redo, controlfiles, and temp onto their own diskgroups?  I don't recall ever seeing this as a best practice and in this periodic discussion brought up to our group I believe has agreed.  I'm getting pressure from an outside resource to split out these file types for performance reasons yet haven't received anything specific to explain why and the arguments presented have been high level and similar to arguments from long ago on older hardware.

Dave Herring

†Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^ Received on Wed May 07 2014 - 23:55:42 CEST

Original text of this message