RE: Quick and Dirty Grid Control

From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR (ABL) <"Freeman,>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 20:30:39 +0000

That confirms what I was thinking about manual discovery. I would want to turn off the daily auto-discovery and pick what I wanted to monitor. I hate to ask the other DBA why she didn't try that. After having gone to a great deal of trouble to get it running I don't think I'd let it stop me. I certainly wouldn't let it stop me without involving Oracle support. I don't need to monitor everything. Like everywhere some of these targets are more important than others and I should be able to prioritize. I've only been following all of the cloud control updates intermittently. I gather that it works better than its predecessor and is less quirky. The first question I'd have to answer in my environment is whether or not its certified for use here. Somebody, with a budget, has to pay for that certification. And it's not supposed to be transferrable. Then I have to convince a lot of different interests. So, the technology challenges are really not the most serious ones.

From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR (ABL)
[mailto:donald.freeman.ctr_at_ablcda.navy.mil] Sent: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:08 PM
To: Peter Sharman
Cc: oracle-l digest users

Sorry so late to respond, no connectivity all of yesterday. In response to your comment there wasn't much chance that a major thing like Cloud Control could be implemented fast. If I start now and try really hard and am very convincing it might take a year to get support. I'm playing the long game here. If they are going to try and involve me in patching this stuff then I want to implement grid control. I'm already convinced on how, "It should be done..." The answer is anyway except manually.

The problem here, and I'm sure other places, as soon as you introduce a new thought or idea, somebody responds with some other horrific thing that you didn't know that increases the scope or difficulty of the task. I only care, at this moment, about the patching. That led to a conversation about backups. We have a very unbalanced portfolio of software and hardware. It's not enough to be supplied with unlimited usage of software if you don't have all the other infrastructure items that are needed to employ it.

To get past the original problem as stated by our lead DBA, "How do I get through discovery?" Our six database servers share a couple of NETAPP file systems. This is a new architecture to me and I'm kind of fuzzy on, conceptually, how it all works, and how that impacts discovery, if at all. Can I free things up by running more agents? Or, can I just do a manual discovery?

From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR (ABL)
[mailto:donald.freeman.ctr_at_ablcda.navy.mil] Sent: Saturday, May 3, 2014 1:28 AM
To: oracle-l digest users
Subject: Quick and Dirty Grid Control

The place I work doesn't use grid control. They have about 600 active databases in the development regions. We lack hardware infrastructure. All of these databases are mounted on five Solaris 10 Servers. Another DBA told me that they previously tried to get Grid Control running but it failed on discovery. It couldn't handle that many objects on a server. That was some time ago.

I'm about to get drafted (listening over the wall) to patch this weekend (I'm not on that team) and I'm not really interested in trying to patch that many databases manually, at least not twice. Is there a method to install grid control in some way that it can handle this situation? Can 12C handle this?

I would start doing some reading but I'm afraid somebody is going to walk around the corner in about 5 minutes and give me, "the look." I'm looking for a direction to march in that will fix this going forward.