Re: conditional unique index to restrict duplicates of a particular set

From: Carlos Sierra <carlos.sierra.usa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 11:32:27 -0400

Mohamed,

Would you please elaborate why an INSERT/UPDATE trigger using a non-unique index on those 4 columns would not scale? The trigger would do an index lookup using the 4 columns when the set of values passed is expected to be unique and raise an error if there exists such set. This method would be clean, and the index could be used by other queries.

Cheers — Carlos