Re: conditional unique index to restrict duplicates of a particular set

From: Carlos Sierra <carlos.sierra.usa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 06:51:09 -0400

Vijay,
  1. To me sure the performance impact of this index I would do an actual test with some volume with and without the index.
  2. I do not see how this index could be used by real predicates, so most probably this index would not be useful for anything else.
  3. You may want to consider NOT having this index and use a trigger instead. In other words, have a regular non-unique B-Tree index on acc_number, branch_code, feed_date and feed_type. Then the trigger would validate that values I and E do not duplicate. The business requirement that you describe, in my opinion is better served with a trigger than with the unique index you described. This regular non-unique B-Tree index would most probably be used by other predicates in your application.

Cheers — Carlos