RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 20:11:56 +0000

We’ve tried to find a way to phrase that same question in our interviews, but haven’t quite figured it out yet. We want to ask something like “tell me about a time when you’ve really screwed the pooch, and what have you learned from it?”

Honestly, most of our interviewees (we’re only looking for intro/junior level right now) have been so nervous we haven’t felt like we can lay that on them…

Stephan Uzzell I Senior Database Administrator I Managed Services |MICROS Systems, Inc. Direct: 443.285.8000x2345 | Mobile: 443.864.1725 | suzzell_at_micros.com<mailto:suzzell_at_micros.com> | www.micros.com<blocked::http://www.micros.com>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of McPeak, Matt Sent: Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 12:42
To: Oracle-L
Subject: RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

“What’s the silliest mistake you’ve made while sitting at a keyboard?”

Everyone’s got some good ones, right?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of David Fitzjarrell Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:44 AM
To: Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com<mailto:Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>; jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com<mailto:jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>; Oracle-L Subject: Re: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

I lived in Schaumburg back in '72 and went to high school there. I'd love to go back and see how it's changed.

A question for the DBA lunch crowd:

"What excites you about being a DBA?"

David Fitzjarrell
Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide" On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:38 AM, Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com<mailto:Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>> wrote: “What’s the most challenging problem you’ve faced, be it a complex database recovery, a difficult performance problem, etc?”

-Mark

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com<mailto:jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>> Reply-To: "jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com<mailto:jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>" <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com<mailto:jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>> Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM
To: Oracle-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

We've got these dba lunch meetups going in Chicago and we tried something new last week. Started lunch by "introducing" one of the members. The interviewee answers a few questions, and we keep the discussion around each question to a few minutes. Fun way to start lunch and there was still plenty of time for the usual techy chatter afterwards.

My question for this (oracle-l) list: if you could ask a DBA anything, what would you ask?

Here are the four questions we've used so far:

1. how'd you get started with the oracle db?
2. what's the most interesting system or application you've worked on in your career?  can you tell us a bit about the architecture?
3. who's your #1 influencer, mentor, or author?
4. what's the #1 thing you need to learn so you'll still have a job in 5-10 years?

BTW - lunch is in deerfield today, schaumburg tomorrow and downtown next wednesday. Just in case anyone is interested in joining. :)

-J

--

http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

--