RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 12:31:22 -0700

This could be a short story competition. I walked into the bull pen at the Intel factory to talk to my friend in technical support. He was referring to an SOP and killing some processes. "Watch doing?" sez I. Sometimes the application would hang and the SOP was to kill the processes. "I can automate that" sez I and I sat down at the keyboard. I made the 10 o'clock news.

From: vxsmimmcp_at_subaru.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 16:41:38 +0000

“What’s the silliest mistake you’ve made while sitting at a keyboard?” Everyone’s got some good ones, right? From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of David Fitzjarrell Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:44 AM
To: Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com; jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com; Oracle-L

Subject: Re: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

I lived in Schaumburg back in '72 and went to high school there.  I'd love to go back and see  how it's changed.

A question for the DBA lunch crowd:

"What excites you about being a DBA?"

David Fitzjarrell

Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:38 AM, Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com> wrote:

“What’s the most challenging problem you’ve faced, be it a complex database recovery, a difficult performance problem, etc?”

-Mark

From:
Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
To: Oracle-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything We've got these dba lunch meetups going in Chicago and we tried something new last week. Started lunch by "introducing" one of the members. The interviewee answers a few questions, and we keep the discussion around each question to a few minutes. Fun way to start lunch and there was still plenty of time for the usual techy chatter afterwards. My question for this (oracle-l) list: if you could ask a DBA anything, what would you ask? Here are the four questions we've used so far: 1. how'd you get started with the oracle db? 2. what's the most interesting system or application you've worked on in your career? can you tell us a bit about the architecture? 3. who's your #1 influencer, mentor, or author? 4. what's the #1 thing you need to learn so you'll still have a job in 5-10 years? BTW - lunch is in deerfield today, schaumburg tomorrow and downtown next wednesday. Just in case anyone is interested in joining. :) -J -- http://about.me/jeremy_schneider