How to rename ASM disk?

From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:53:05 +0000

Hi all,

Another day, another question. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible (before 12c) to rename an ASM disk. Note that I know how to rename an ASM disk group, and how to rename an ASMLib label. But, from what I can see, changing the ASM disk name, I.e. V$ASM_DISK.NAME is not possible?

I tried using kfed, which I know worked in 10g to rename a disk group, in the days before it was supported. (In 11g, renaming ASM disk group is supported.) But, my attempt to use kfed to rename the ASM disk name, using similar procedure to what was used for renaming disk group, failed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rename an ASM disk?

Background:
We have just moved our eBS environment to ASM. We want to be able to clone ebsprd, with a disk name like 'EBSPRD_DATA_0001', to say, ebsuat. When we do that, I can rename the disk group name and the ASMLib label, no problem. But the disk name (V$ASM_DISK.NAME) and fail group (V$ASM_DISK.FAILGROUP) remain 'EBSPRD_DATA_0001'. This would be fine, but what happens when I clone ebsprd again, to this same server, but this time to create, for example, ebsuat2? Now, the disk name and fail group will collide. Help!

Thanks,

-Mark

PS Yes, it seems that it's possible in 12c, with 'alter disk group <dg_name> rename disk <disk_name> to <new_disk_name>;', but, I'm not ready to go to 12c just yet.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Apr 17 2014 - 23:53:05 CEST

Original text of this message