Re: Extended RAC and multicast

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:51:54 -0600

Sorry to press, but do you know if they had evaluated Data Guard or Golden Gate at all? Did they really make such a decision based on a single piece of sales collateral?

I'm always shocked at how Oracle Corporation (and other vendors) will publish a white paper such as this, including a section on the "benefits of
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/overview/extendedracversion11-435972.pdf#page=6&zoom=auto,93,519>" without a balancing (and glaringly absent) "disadvantages of" section, which might include helpful cross-references to Oracle products Data Guard or Golden Gate. While there is brief passing mention of Data Guard in this paper, there is not a breath about Golden Gate. A "disadvantages of" section would have been the ideal way to steer customers for whom "extended RAC clusters" were not well-suited toward Data Guard or Golden Gate, both which are proven and widely implemented, which "extended clusters" are not.

The presence of only positive information about a product without any negative information ipso facto makes it a sales document, and worthless as a technical source.