RE: Null data in not null column

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:07:29 +0000

It's possible that the constraint was added after the data was already in the table with novalidate. Check the value for VALIDATED in the source database on DBA_CONSTRAINTS.

tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> create table t1 (   2 c1 varchar2(5))
  3 ;

Table created.
Elapsed: 00:00:00.05
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> insert into t1 values (null);

1 row created.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.01
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> insert into t1 values values ('ABC'); insert into t1 values values ('ABC')

                      *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00936: missing expression

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> insert into t1 values ('ABC');

1 row created.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> insert into t1 values ('DEF');

1 row created.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> insert into t1 values ('GHI');

1 row created.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> select * from t1;

C1

ABC
DEF
GHI Elapsed: 00:00:00.01
alter table t1 modify c1 not null --****Can't apply the constraint with null data **** *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02296: cannot enable (TKIERNAN.) - null values found

Elapsed: 00:00:00.02
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> alter table t1 modify c1 not null novalidate; --****Unless the constraint doesn't check the existing data ****

Table altered.

Elapsed: 00:00:00.08
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> select * from t1; --*** There's still a NULL value. I can't insert new NULL values or update existing records to NULL, but the existing records may stay as they are.

C1

ABC
DEF
GHI Elapsed: 00:00:00.02
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA> select owner, constraint_type, status, validated from dba_constraints where owner='TKIERNAN' and table_name = 'T1';

OWNER                          C STATUS   VALIDATED
TKIERNAN                       C ENABLED  NOT VALIDATED

Elapsed: 00:00:00.78
tkiernan_at_NPSALPHA>

HTH,
T. J.