Re: DB12c in Production?

From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:13:37 -0400

On the surface 12c seems to be the strongest release in a long time. I’m not just talking about new features such as Multi tenant and promised In Memory Database but also commitment to enhancing existing features such as Flex ASM, Online partition moves, dbms_redefinition enhancements, Online database file moves, etc.. These features really show Oracle’s commitment to not only grow there “pay for” options but also continue to add value to existing features.

The Multitenant option buys two things for my environment.

The first is a true multi tenant project in scope over the next 2 years where we are looking to isolate customers with a potential from a few dozen to over 2,000 separate databases. Multitenant seems to be a much more manageable and long term cost effective solution in comparison to Virtualizing the database stacks. The shared background processes and database memory pools makes the solution a much more efficient architecture.

I have 5 single instance servers today that have very large memory footprints with mismatched workloads with little abilities to share resources. Moving to a RAC architecture would require a many month effort of application and database tuning and I have yet to figure out how to do this without greatly impacting performance while trying to manage 10 busy instances on 5 nodes. Multitenant affords us the ability to cluster 1 CDB instance and plug all databases into it while application partitioning the database per node allowing us to gradually grow into RAC and balance our workloads.

Our first step would be 12c GI clustering with single instance 11gR2 databases on each node. We are upgrading our database servers to UCS blades which are an ideal hardware configuration for RAC and 12c seems pretty solid so far within that limited scope. The database upgrades, CDB with single PDB, would not be until early next year per our current plans and true Multitenant would follow that.

We have upgrade GI in a few environments so far and have ran into 0 issues.

Thanks,
Kenny

P.S.

We already have the RAC licenses that are not being used.

P.S.S.

Speaking of automobiles and enhancements I recently traded my 2005 Nissan Frontier in for a 2013 Nissan Leaf lease. Given Federal and State incentives, gas savings, maintenance savings and depreciation I’ll save $13k over 2 years. Certainly pros and cons to driving an electric eco-turd but so far it is living up to everything I could ask for with my 68 mile round trip commute.