Reporting DB on same server as primary DB?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 09:03:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

I'm going through an exercise in 11.2.0.3 (IBM AIX on LPARs) to create a read-only reporting database with "near real-time" data. I've created a proof-of-concept Active Data Guard instance on the same server as the primary and it appears to work well.

The reasons for the reporting DB is we have a new ad-hoc reporting tool that uses the ERP's API. While this has advantages, the disadvantages of security exposure, inevitable audit hits, buffer cache thrashing, and potential UNDO/TEMP usage w/o the ability to segregate into separate tablespaces seem very high risk.

While we're hopefully going to be getting money for the replication software, I doubt the extra LPAR with expensive EE licenses is going to fly at this time, so it's single server. And, no, even though it wouldn't cost us any Oracle EE licenses, I don't want to give up any CPUs we have allocated to the ERP DB server in order to create a new reporting DB server.

Thoughts on running Active DG, GoldenGate, or SharePlex having primary and standby on the same server/LPAR for a reporting DB?

Thanks!
Rich