RE: How do Oracle DBA's look or behave like when they reach their golden years?

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 15:52:34 +0000

But more aware that management comes and goes. Honestly, I think I experienced the nadir of management back in 2001 so things don’t bother me that much anymore. I could tell stories…

10 months to go to before I hit 20 years though. Maybe things will change then.

It’s been a good gig by and large. The work is often interesting, it pays the bills, there are always new things to learn (though I definitely feel I’m a little behind the curve in picking up new features these days). And there’s a certain satisfaction in being the person that people go to when they need something to get done or need a question answered. And knowing who the other people in the company are who are in that category also helps.

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of shrekdba_at_gmail.com Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:14 PM To: hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l
Subject: Re: How do Oracle DBA's look or behave like when they reach their golden years?

We get less able to put up with management; -)

Sent from my Sprint phone.
Bill "shriek" Thater oracle dba
Shrekdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:Shrekdba_at_gmail.com> "One ping to rule them all
One ping to find them
One ping to bring them all
And in the mutex bind them"

  • Reply message ----- From: "John Hurley" <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com<mailto:hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>> To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: How do Oracle DBA's look or behave like when they reach their golden years? Date: Tue, Feb 25, 2014 5:59 PM

We get more and more grumpy ... I think some of that is forgetting and then re learning things you forgot. Plus at times knowing how something is going to "fall apart" and trying to avoid that but well ...

Plus the grumpy gig is effective.

The looks part ... ahh we look like the Jets from West Side Story ... after getting jumped and tossed into the Hudson ...