Re:why are some applications oracle but not RAC compatible?

From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:19:34 -0500 (CDT)

<<Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:14:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>
Subject: why are some applications oracle but not RAC compatible?

Can anyone tell me why an application would be compatible with oracle but not rac? I'm assuming it must have to do with connectivity, but not sure why that isn't transparent to all applications? Thanks in advance.>>

You'd have to document where an application can make such a statement. It's probably not exactly true. What often happens with some prepackaged software for smaller implementations is they've never been tested or validated to work with RAC, or perhaps the vendor or the company supplying support has no experience with RAC, and therefore may prefer not to support such an installation. These would be valid reasons to run away from whatever they are selling.

I do know of some older database monitoring software supplied by major vendors that do not consider a RAC environment in their code base when reporting errors, but even they do not emphatically state their products won't support or run on RAC. They do, it's just that some features may not work properly.

 Chris, can you document how you arrived at this determination? Or was this simply something that was expressed verbally?