RE: output of a select statement(B

From: Mark W. Farnham(B <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 07:01:01 -0400

Yes. JL's detection that the formatting difference was due to different default column formatting because of the difference between the literal length and the length of one of the choices for a bind variable in support of the changed setting for cursor sharing was spot on and a great pick up.

It also served as a great reminder that the mechanism of cursor sharing is factoring literals into a usefully spread possible set of bind variable lengths.

IF you need a different column formatting, injecting (either in (g)login.sql or a script setting an individual sqlplus sessions depending on the scope you need) a statement similar to the one I suggested you test containing the type and heading you actually want should keep it from varying and give you an opportunity to supply the logical name for the column heading in place of a value based column name.

mwf