RE: Temporary tablespace usage

From: Cunningham, Mike <mcunningham_at_thedoctors.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:07:11 -0700

Hi Peter, yes, the TOTAL is showing you how large the TEMP tablespace is right now. However, it is not necessarily the size since the last database restart, but it is the total size of all files that make up the TEMP tablespace. Based on what I see I would guess you have 1 file in the TEMP space and it is at its max size (32GB for a datafile with 8K block size). If you have autoextend turned on then there was a statement - or statements - that pushed it all the way to 32GB.

I don't know of any way to calculate how much TEMP would be required to complete the failed transaction. You could try and add a datafile of 1GB (if autoextend is on) and see how much it grows to complete the transaction. In my experience you would want to look at the query first and make sure it is performing optimally. I've seen queries that were fine before and then, with bad stats and query plan, they used an excess of TEMP space.

Michael Cunningham
Senior Database Administrator
The Doctors' Company
707.226.0221 - desk