Re: OMF or not OMF? DBCA or Manual scripts

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:44:42 +0000

Evening Rich,

On 25/03/14 14:14, Rich Jesse wrote:
> It seems I'm the only stick in the mud who doesn't like using DBCA. I just
> gave it another shot on 11.2.0.3 to make sure it's still a terrible GUI.
I use template databases set up as required and company standardised. There are quite a few but they are all neatly packaged and RMAN backed up.

When we need a new database, we simply "recover" the template we want, and "Robert is your Mother's Brother".

Speaking only for myself, I'm with you on the DBCA front, it is indeed dire. I have never liked it since it first appeared.

In a previous life, I did use it once to build a set of 11g database build scripts which I kept and used frequently for new builds - a quick copy into a scripts directory, and an even quicker "sed -i" to replace stuff and I had a new working set of scripts to build the database.

No need to keep on running DBCA.

I do, on the other hand rather like DBUA for running upgrades. (Or at least, I did in a past life!)

> ... I don't like tools that make it easy for a Jr.
> DBA to screw up, as the default template includes licensed options (which
> are also a major pain to remove post-install, from experience).

Chopt is your friend, as is cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib && make -f rdbms_ins.mk ..... ioracle.

> No OMF. No ASM. No DBCA. They are (potentially) answers to problems I
> don't have, and include or have included major bugs that I don't need. As a
> solo DBA, there is just no ROI that anyone's been able to prove for me to
> use them.

OMF is pretty nifty, I never used to like it, but I am one of the converted. ASM also - and the two go hand in hand. I don't need to care about the names of my database files any more because they are not on filesystem discs, so nobody needs to ask "what database do these files belong to?".

> Sigh. I don't get to attend the Cool Tool Party...again. APEX! I love
> APEX! Does that count? :)

Toad, the coolest tool of all.
:-)

Cheers,