RE: OMF or not OMF?

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:55:21 +0800

You can have a mix of OMF and non-OMF datafiles (and tempfiles) in a database. To make a datafile / tempfile non-OMF simply specify the full filename (including path) and size.

As far as the archivelogs are concerned, why not use db_recovery_file_dest (and db_recovery_file_dest_size) ?

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeff C Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 8:35 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: OMF or not OMF?

I have never used OMF for my database file structure and I was wondering is this what everybody is doing now? I realize that if you are using ASM you have to go with OMF so I am really only talking no ASM users. I guess I have always like control my file names and locations. But my next database I am about to create I was thinking of trying OMF.

If I do go with it I will probably still manually control the location of the control files and archive files. Can you also create a non OMF temp tablespace?

Thanks for any input.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.