Re: 2 Exadatas for production + disaster recovery + dev/test

From: Andy Wattenhofer <watt0012_at_umn.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:34:47 -0500

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> An argument contra would be that when you want to test an exadata patch,
> it will affect your ability to failover to this environment (prod is then
> running on a different version).

Patching the standby first is supported, as outlined in MOS doc *1265700.1: Oracle Patch Assurance - Data Guard Standby-First Patch Apply*. That doc and the Exadata bundle readmes also indicate that standby-first patch apply is supported for Exadata bundles.

The scenario is that you install the patch binaries on your dev/test/qa/DR cluster but you only run catbundle in the dev/test/qa databases. The DR databases receive catbundle updates through redo transport after you patch the prod cluster and run catbundle in the prod databases.

--
Andy Wattenhofer
Manager, Database Administration